Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I could really use your help!

My Sewing machine has decided its over.
I don't blame it for wanting to retire, it is 20 yrs old.

 Yep...My sewing machine is officially vintage, feeling old now.
This is one instance where vintage isn't the preferred option.


My poor old work horse has been good to me, it saw me through years of school, tafe and redecorating projects but now its time to say goodbye : (
In all honesty it has been wanting to retire for a few years but Ive been ignoring its whining and putting up with the dodgy finish and constant frustration that has turned sewing into high stress 'necessity only' activity instead of the fulfilling and satisfying hobby it once was. 

My over-locker stopped being efficient about 5 years ago too, it was always s#*t though, shouldn't have been it was a Husqvarna, I just got a lemon I think.

I pretty much completely stopped sewing when the first baby came along and my sewing room turned into a nursery then never returned, this needs to change, I want my room back and I need to sew again.


SO
I need both machines but as Ive been out of the link for so long I have no idea what is good now?
 I'll be sewing pretty seriously (lounge covers, curtains, mid to heavy duty stuff and baby things - no im not pregnant) but I don't need anything too computerised (I wont be embroidering etc) just a really good quality standard machine.
I trust your recommendations as Ive seen what you guys do.

What should I buy?
 What shouldn't I buy?
What do you use?

Many hearts for your help.
M
xx



7 comments:

  1. Well, I'm fast on the way to needing a new machine too, so I'll be interested to read responses. Personally I think if you can get your hands on one an industrial machine would be awesome. I knew someone who did professional sewing - and she used one all the time. It was magic. She sold them all a few years ago, and I really wish I'd bought from her. Anyway, I'm no expert so see what others have to say.

    Cheers,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could help, but I can't really.

    I use a very basic Husqvarna model for sewing ... but it's very noisy and I'm not its biggest fan ... it was a few hundred dollars. I think if I'd bought a more advanced model, I'd be thrilled.

    I have a second machine which is an early 1960s Bernina model of my mother's. It is wonderful and weighs a tonne, but it's a great back-up and I actually use it more than the Husqvarna.

    Also, I have a Singer overlocker (four thread) which I swear by. I have no idea how to re-thread it, but I've never had to in about two years' of use. I've gotten it serviced once and got the serviceman to replace the threads then.

    So, I'm not good with the advice other than to say, I think what you pay for is what you get, and I'll never sew if I don't have both a sewing machine and overlocker. Sewing's fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey, I'm no expert with sewing machines..or with sewing for that matter...but I was given a Brother BM 2600 for my birthday last year and I love it ( think it retails for under $200)..so super easy to use, LOADS of sewing features and different stitchings and easy and light to transport and pack..and not so noisy either. Cant help you with over-lockers ..I am clueless. Hope this info helps some :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Megan, I've just discovered your blog. I like sewing too :)
    I used my mum's Phaff(sp?) for many years but the tension was never right (I was always tense). A couple of years ago I was very lucky and won a Bernina as a prize in a wearable art comp. It is one of their cheaper ones, but still about $1300 I think. I just love it.
    I have a cheap Singer overlocker which is ok but I desperately need to get it serviced.
    I'll be interested to see what you come up with :)
    Cheerio, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there and thanks for the link :)
    I am buying myself one of these:
    http://www.brother.com.au/products/sewing_machines/computerised_sewing_machines/ns-10.aspx
    after the recommendation and kind lend of a dear friend and fellow crafty blogger. She had gone from a non computerised old Singer and had not wanted computerised either but all the staff at our local Spotlight (who we know and actually trust!) swear by theirs and that they are easily/cheaply serviced if need be. Having now tested it myself I am in love and can't wait to get my hands on one when I have some free $$. I even sewed through some pretty thick layers and it went over them like an angel. My friend sews for her http://www.baby-boudoir.com/ range and swears by it too. I have noticed that Spotlight often offers this model (and other Brother models that are a bit cheaper) for up to half price too.
    Sorry about the long comment, hope this helps a little though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan, I think it depends on your budget really and what you want to sew.
    I have a Janome number that cost me $500 several years ago and it is fine. It doesn't have a gazillion stitches, which is good because I would never use them.
    However, now that I make quilts I would really love something a bit more apt at handling quilting (they have a longer throat)
    Some of the good quilters in blogland love their Bernina machines (usually over $1000) I would love to have a go on a Bernina.
    Hope this helps. Happy shopping

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sewing - there are so many machines out there. When I bought mine, I just asked the store for the most reasonably priced one that was really reliable. A good machine makes all the difference in enjoying sewing. Good luck! XOL

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, thankyou so much for stopping by.